Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Medela, So Long And Thanks For All the Fish

After 205 days of pumping, my final "strap in" was Tuesday evening, October 2nd.  But who's counting?  Here is the letter to my departing friend:




To My Dear Medela Symphony,


We shared many moments over the last six-plus months, didn't we?  I was first introduced to you rather abruptly the morning of March 12, 2012, when a nice lactation consultant woke me up from my drug-/c-section induced sleep (after at least one earlier attempt) to introduce us and let me know you'd be my closest  friend for an extended period of time.  It was rough going, initially.  But, after awhile, I got used to your mannerisms and quirks, and we settled into a routine.  In fact, we were so good together, I was "ahead" for months after the girls were born, and so all they ate was what I expressed with you.

After my discharge from the hospital, we spent at least 7 to 8 times a day together (sometimes I even squeezed in a ninth or tenth visit!).  For several months, almost without fail, I even set my alarm every night to wake up in the middle of the night so I could visit you.  You provided a relief that no other (save your Medela sibling in the NICU) could offer.  And if I didn't visit you regularly, I certainly paid for it!  (Once in May, once in June, and definitely once in August, if I recall correctly.)  Of course, since I visited you so regularly, we also had a bunch of equipment that had to be washed regularly, too:


One thing I really liked about you was your precision.  Being able to know my exact output was very reassuring.  I started with sheets of papers in the hospital, and finally in May I started filling a notebook with the dates, times, and outputs of each visit.  Because of that, I was able to track how each day went, and, due to my competitive nature, was able to try and "top" each day (some days ended up better than others, didn't they?).

The time we spent together was productive in another way, too.  My original setup with you was in the bedroom (haha, no, I never thought of you THAT way), and I brought my computer in there so I could surf and get other things done.  One of those, and the most important thing, in my opinion, was the daily blog about the girls while they were still in the NICU.  Later, of course, when the girls came home, and were sleeping in the cosleeper, we moved our setup into the living room so I wouldn't wake them while spending time with you (of course, we had to plan our visits if there were other visitors in the house).

Not to say we didn't have our moments.  There were plenty of times I was sick and tired of visiting you.  I had other things I wanted to do, like play with Hazel or hold Abimus.  I was sleepy and wanted to go to bed.  I was asleep and didn't want to get up.  I was out and didn't want to come home.  But you were always there and waiting for me.  And, while I was tired of all of the time we spent together, I still really appreciated what you could provide to my little twin girls.  And they seemed to appreciate it, too.  You are one of the reasons the girls went from this:
 
to this:


Once Abby came home at the end of May, I started visiting you less.  When Hazel came home in mid-June, the number of visits decreased even more.  At the end of July, when I went back to work, I cut down my visits to just twice a day (although I did increase, slightly, the visiting time).  And, at the end of September, after we had spent just over six months together, I started to gradually wean myself off you (thank you for not letting me get sick that time).  

Since Tuesday, you've stood alone, ready and waiting, and I haven't visited you.  It is a really is a bittersweet feeling for me now; because as much as I complained about you, I did cherish your results.  And now it is all over, and the only remaining remnants are in the freezer (along with the ice cream - hehe):


At this point, I can't say that I hope we meet again.  If we do, though, I hope it is under slightly different circumstances.  But, from the bottom of my heart, please accept my thanks for your help and gratitude for your support since the girls were born.  I will never forget you.

Sincerely,

NGS, Mom of Twins

PS:  I hope you enjoy these pictures from our time together - it's like a "Where's Waldo" for you.  And thanks again for all the memories!


In NICU 1.

In NICU 3/overflow.

Feeding Hazel.

Our hospital room the night before Abs was discharged.

The chair were we had our setup.  You can see the tub
in the corner.  Good thing that chair was old - it's had lots of
milk/throwup spills on it in the last few months!


0 comments:

Post a Comment