Friday, May 4, 2012

TWO Five Pounders, the Double Bath, and Feeding News

Hazel is 5 pounds, 2 ounces today and Abigail is 5 pounds even today!  First time both are over the five pound mark!  They are such heavyweights now.... ;)

The girls get a bath every three days, and today (for the first time) their bath was together.  It was extraordinarily cute ... I had a hard time helping with the bath because I wanted to take so many pictures!  (Abby is on the left and Hazel is on the right in all of these pictures)














After not much fuss, we put the girls back to their cribs, dressed in cute onesies from the baby shower:





While both girls would have been up for trying the breast at their 5:30/6:00 assessment, I figured they'd still be pretty exhausted from the bath, so Cheryl and I bottle fed them.  I started with Hazel, she was sucking but not really eating, so then I switched to Abby who ate basically her whole bottle - only 10 ml left when I had to go at 6:30.  Speaking of the Abs, Cheryl told me she threw up a huge fuss this morning, about 45 minutes before even Hazel was to be fed (and H gets fed 30 min before A).  That was really surprising - usually Abby is the laid back one!  So Cheryl went ahead and fed Abby first since Hazel was, as Cheryl put it, "sawing a log."  ;)

I met the other doctor, Dr. Wong, in the neonatal practice group today.  She had been on medical leave due to a knee injury, which is why I hadn't seen her before.  She explained Hazel's eye thing again to me (I missed/promptly forgot everything Dr. Breed told me yesterday about it), saying it was in "zone 3," which is the periphery of the eye, and since the eye doctor doesn't feel like it has escalated, he is going to check on her again in two weeks (which is the normal check up period).  I also asked Dr. Wong about the girls' State of Texas newborn screens, which showed the possibility of an abnormal thyroid for both.  Of course, it had been explained that the newborn screens are for full term babies, so it is pretty common for preterm babies to get flagged.  Anyway, Dr. Wong said the followup lab work, done two weeks after birth, would show if there was an issue, and she said they would followup with the lab on Monday.  Presumably its not an issue, because she said there would be other signs, but it'd be nice to close that issue/check it off the list of possible issues.

SO... the other big news.  Dr. Wong said Abby has "jumped" Hazel, so to speak, and she ordered for the nurses to attempt to bottle/nipple feed Abby for ALL of her feedings now (if she doesn't take it or all of it, then she'll get the rest via gavage).  This is remarkable - a week ago Abby was getting nipple feeds only 3 out of 8 times per day (H was 4 out of 8 then), and two days later (Monday) she got moved up to 2 out of 3 feeds (5/6 out of 8).  Now, on Friday, she's up to EVERY feed.  Go Abs!  I felt a swell of happiness along with panic at this news ... still working hard on that nursery!  Making progress, though.

More pictures from the day (mostly of Hazel making faces at me):






 

0 comments:

Post a Comment