Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday in the NICU

Hazel had her swallow study today, and all things were clear.  They checked with both the blue (faster slow) and green (slow slow) nipples, and no milk got anywhere close to the airway, which is good.  So, her eating/breathing issues are not due to reflex, but just prematurity.  She did really well during our first feeding of breathing and eating, but not as much during the second time, probably because she was more stimulated and hungrier.  Her last official/charted brady, according to Dr. Kienstra this afternoon, was yesterday (May 17), but I don't think we'll probably be starting the five day countdown for at least a few more days.

The results on Abby's urine came back, and there is bacteria in her urine, but not nearly the amount (10K) that Dr. Kienstra was expecting (normally 100K or more).  The doctor almost wishes she could ignore it, since it requires a seven day course of antibiotics, but obviously it affected Abby, so they won't be.  Abby started her antibiotics on Tuesday so she'll be done next Thursday.  Her last charted brady was also on Tuesday (May 15), but she wouldn't be discharged before the antibiotics course is complete anyway.  So, basically, Abby decided to catch something to make sure she stuck around to be with her sister (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).  ;)  As usual, Abby did awesome while being fed by her Nina today.


Bottom line:  we're still at the hospital for Hazel because she hasn't quite gotten the memo about breathing being a requirement, and we're still at the hospital for Abigail because she needs to finish her course of antibiotics (I'm fairly confident she'll be okay with the breathing thing before her antibiotics are complete).  So, I'm hoping we're home right before or around Memorial Day weekend.

On a personal note, I received a lot of compliments today - from my mother in law, Bonnie, Dr. Kienstra, and one of the NICU nurses.  Sure does make you feel good.  Hope I can live up to what they think.

Both Nina and I took some really cute pictures of the girls today (I noticed - since Hazel needs more attention while feeding, I hold her longer, but end up taking more pictures of Abby.  Plus she was wide awake most of the afternoon.  It'll balance out.):

"Hi Nina!'

"I can't see what's happening, but I keep feeling this pressure on my back."

"Whoa.  That's an impressive peacock earring you have there."

"Hmm.  The earring is almost as big as me."

"Earring?  What earring?  This burp cloth is tasty..."


Hazel:  "Ah...food...y'all have been holding out on me ... I haven't eaten in THREE HOURS."

Abby

"Hmm...this looks interesting..."

"Might as well taste it."

"Urg.  Perhaps it is not food."

Nina and her grandbabies.
Happy Nina, sleeping girls.  With Abby waving hello.


0 comments:

Post a Comment