Wednesday, April 18, 2012

MORE Developments, Plus a Baby Shower

There was a pleasant surprise when I walked into the NICU ... both of the girls' isolettes are completely open!

Abby's isolette - open!

Hazel's isolette - open!


This means both girls must be over 4 pounds (or whatever the gram equivalent is), and are now able to regulate their own body temperature.  WOOHOO.

I worked on breast feeding again with both girls.  Hazel was a bit better than yesterday, but Abby just didn't seem interested at all - she was lethargic and didn't open her mouth at all.  I read that it takes patience with preemies, so I'm not discouraged. 

Corinna, the nurse, noted both girls were in the same outfit, so it would be a great opportunity to take a few pictures together.  They were really cute!
Abby looks a bit scared in this one.

Abby waves - totally on her own.  I had nothing to do with it.

Matt and Steve visited at the 8:30 feeding, and were able to bottle feed both girls.  Hazel took to it like a champ, and finished her whole bottle!  Abby was less interested in that as well, but it will come too.  Matt told me Steve was super focused and afterwards completely "hooked."  :)  Rachel, the night nurse, took a few pictures with Matt's phone:





After I left the hospital, I headed over to the office for a post-birth baby shower (notably, my parking spot was open - turns out Michelle had to move Ben's car prior to the shower ... not surprised).  Prior to the whole preterm labor occurrence, we had previously discussed having my office shower around the first week of April, since I would not be allowed to travel after the end of March.  Well, despite the twins' early arrival, they still wanted to throw me a shower, so we worked out a date in mid April (which would give me time to put stuff away and finish out registry items, if necessary).

Everything was really nice!  Teri made a cake from scratch and decorated it.  It looked awesome:

 Matt made it too, and we chatted, told the preterm labor story, opened gifts (lots of cute and useful stuff), and caught up with almost everyone.  It really was great to see everyone.  Now...to write the thank you notes!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment